CLT Design Competition by Aakar Design
The CLT Design Competition is one of the most prestigious competitions in the building industry.
CLT or Cross Laminated Timber is an innovative Mass Timber Construction technique that eliminates the need for steel and concrete construction. This reduces the carbon footprint. Thus, it offers a sustainable construction technique.
CLT comprises graded, kiln-dried, and trimmed lumber glued and stacked in layers. Each layer gets placed perpendicular to the other.
This layered positioning of CLT offers two-directional rigidity to the structure. Moreover, as the CLT panels come pre-fabricated, the construction time and labour cost also get reduced greatly.
Considering the numerous monetary and environmental benefits of CLT panels, Aakar Design Consultants have conceived the CLT Competition in the CLT Induction event that is sponsored by Mitsubishi Estate.
The programme includes three wonderfully informative workshops and a CLT Design Competition.
a. CLT Workshop A – Introduction to Cross Laminated Timber.
b. CLT Workshop B – Innovation with Mass Timber, a house and a tower.
c. CLT Workshop C – Understanding CLT in the Indian context.
About CLT Design Competition
The competition challenges the participants to design and plan pre-urban and urban housing scheme with a creative and innovative construction system with the help of CLT in the Indian Context.
CLT is being adopted by many foreign countries and projects. However, the trend has to gear up mass attention and acceptance in India.
Having said that, it remains unarguable that Cross Laminated Timber definitely remains the future of sustainable building and construction.
Therefore, the design proposal must focus on spatial and innovative building systems which can utilize CLT. The participants have the liberty to make new housing plans or pick up existing housing projects in India and re-designing them using CLT as the main material.
There are no restrictions on the number of participants in a team. People from all academic and professional backgrounds, countries, can participate. However, a structural engineer and architect are recommended in every team.
Members of the jury or organization and people who in a direct personal or professional relationship with the members of the jury or organization cannot participate in the contest.
The judgment will be based on the following criteria:
- Material, Structure and Technological Innovation – 50%
- Response to climatic factors – 20%
- Design and Spatial Innovation – 20%
- Social Context – 10%
Who all can participate?
All students, young professionals, firms, and companies from diverse fields can participate in the competition. However, it is recommended that the team has at least one architect.
The competition encourages architects and structural engineer teams to bring out the best. You can register free of cost.
The contest remains open for all. However, everyone must adhere to the submission guidelines:
- Participants must clearly express their ideas.
- The proposal must focus more on the design’s construction system.
- Use of two A2 digital boards only.
- The maximum file size must not exceed 10MB.
- The orientation of the digital board must be in landscape or portrait format.
- Mention the registration number on the lower right corner of the digital board.
- Team or individual participant’s identity must not be revealed or indicated.
- Only PDF format to be used.
- The description should not be more than 400 words.
- Use of only English language allowed.
CLT Design Competition- Awards
- You get a trip to Japan where you can visit the Tokyo Olympics Stadium and a meeting with Kengo Kuma and Associates. (2 Business Class Packages)
- A cash award of INR 6,00,000
- You get a trip to Japan where you can visit the Tokyo Olympics Stadium and a meeting with Kengo Kuma and Associates. (2 Economy Packages)
- A cash award of INR 3,00,000
- You get a trip to Japan where you can visit the Tokyo Olympics Stadium and a meeting with Kengo Kuma and Associates. (1 Economy Package)
- A cash award of INR 2,00,000
- INR 1,00,000
06 Honourable Mentions
- Publications + Certificate of achievement
- A book signed by Architect KUMA Kengo.
Special Sponsor Award
- The sponsors would consider some of the practising professionals who show a keen interest in the material to visit their CLT plants and other CLT buildings in Japan and become a part of the Indian ecosystem.
Grab this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and register now!
Registration End Date - 2021-03-15
Submission End Date - 2021-03-31
Website - https://aakardesign.com/competition/#awardssec
Result Declaration Date - 2021-04-30
Prize / Award - INR 6,00,000 or A trip to Japan