K K Poly Blend is a polymer blend made out of plastic carry bags/packing material. The K K Poly Blend is cheaper than all existing bitumen modifiers and is the best binding agent for bitumen.
Process Adopted: KK Plastic Waste Management Ltd. has devised an end to end process for collecting all kinds of plastic waste from the garbage, its sorting, cleaning and shredding to manufacture flakes called as KK Poly Blend; using exclusively patented in-house manufactured machineries for this purpose. This blend is mixed in the ratio of 8: 100 to the total weight of bitumen in hotmix plant. In hotmix plant, the material is pumped using specially designed machineries where the blend is sprayed on aggregate at 160 degree Celsius. The plastic gets coated to aggregate and then over coated with bitumen thereby enhancing the bonding strength of aggregate and bitumen. The mix needs to be laid minimum of 100 degree Celsius while asphalting roads for better results.
Technology: The Central Road Research Institute and Center for Transport Engineering, Bangalore University has certified that the addition of 8% K K Poly Blend to bituminous concrete mix will not only increase the Marshall Stability, flow value and comprehensive strength of bitumen but also increases the values of fatigue life and indirect tensile strength by three times when compared with conventional mix. The use of this technology has enhanced the roads’ durability, efficiency and performance by 2 folds to that of plastic free roads at a merger additional cost. Few of the field study reports are briefed below.
- A permanent solution for plastic menace thereby making garbage free from plastic. The plastic free garbage can be processed and managed easily which will solve the garbage problem present in cities/towns.
- Build clean, green and healthy cities/towns with qualitative roads.
- The plastic waste roads are qualitative and durable up-to two folds when compared to conventional mix roads.
- The project will also improve the socio-economic status of the city/town as a large number of employment opportunities will be created.
- The most important one is that this technology will save our environment and our planet Earth.
Project Experience: The company takes the pride to share that so far 2000 km of road stretch has been laid in Bangalore reusing 8000 tons of plastic waste retrieved from garbage. The Indian Road Congress has published guidelines of plastic waste roads in the year 2013. Many states like Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Manipur and Goa have come forward to replicate the technology after witnessing Bangalore’s experience. Even other countries like Sudan, New Zealand, and sierra are showing interest in implementing this technology in their local areas.