Construction and infrastructure are the most important aspects of the development of a country. In India, it is the largest industry sector and the second largest source of employment after agriculture. The construction sector contributes to around 8% of the Indian GDP (at constant prices). The government of India has laid a lot of emphasis on the development of the infrastructure and housing sector which has led to a rise in investment by the best construction companies. Check out the names of the top 10 construction companies in India which are transforming the urban and rural sectors.
10 Best construction companies in India
Here are the top 10 construction companies in India that have successfully executed high-end projects:
Larsen and Toubro Limited
Image Source: Larsen and Toubro Limited
Headquartered in Mumbai, Larsen & Toubro Limited has a presence across more than 30 countries. With over 80 years of customer-first approach, it has become one of the leading names for construction companies in India. The focus areas of the company are technology, engineering, construction, and manufacturing.
- Bangalore International Airport, Karnataka
- Vishakhapatnam Industrial Water Supply Project, Andhra Pradesh
- 335-meter, 2 laned Watrak Bridge across the Watrak river in Gujarat
- Jaipur- Kishangarh Expressway, Rajasthan
- 51.6 km four-lane toll road from Ahmedabad to Mehsana in Gujarat.
- Website: https://www.larsentoubro.com/
- Address: L&T House, N. M. Marg, Ballard Estate, Mumbai- 400001
Reliance Infrastructure Limited
Image Source: Reliance Infrastructure Limited
Reliance Infrastructure Limited ( RInfra) is a part of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. Founded in 1929 it is invested in developing construction projects in the power, metro rail, airport, roads, and the defense sector in India. With an enviable list of upcoming projects, Reliance Infrastructure has cemented its position in the list of top 10 construction companies.
- Construction of the Versova Bandra Sea link
- Part design and construction of the Mumbai Metro Line 4 stations
- Rehabilitation and upgrading of the Kashedi Ghat section on NH-!7
- Part construction of the access-controlled Nagpur-Mumbai Super Communication Expressway
- Construction of six laning of the Bihar-Jharkhand border from Chordaha to Gorhar section of NH-2 in Jharkhand
- Address: Reliance Centre, Off Western Express Highway, Santacruz East, Mumbai- 400055
Tata Projects Limited
Image Source: Tata Projects Limited
Tata Projects founded by Jamsetji Tata in 1868 is one of the fastest growing and best construction companies in India. With expertise in executing large urban and industrial construction projects, they do not compromise on sustainability and safety.
- Rejuvenation of 47kms long Dravyavati River
- Food Processing plant for ITC
- 1200 bed super specialty hospital for Medanta in Lucknow
- IT Sez project for Sands Infra at Kochi
- Trade Facilitation Cente and Crafts Museum in Varanasi
- Website: https://www.tataprojects.com/
- Address: One Boulevard Street, Powai, Mumbai- 400076
Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Private Limited
Image Source: Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Private Limited
With a legacy of over 157 years, Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Private Limited specialises in developing megastructures and iconic landmarks. It provides end-to-end solutions across the construction, real estate, water energy, engineering, and infrastructure segments. While the focus is on sustainable development, this top construction company credits its 40000 people workforce for its success.
- Malabar Hill water reservoir
- Mumbai Central Station
- Reserve Bank of India Headquarters, Mumbai
- Mandovi Bridge in Goa
- Jammu Udhampur Highway
- Website: https://www.shapoorjipallonji.com/
- Address: SP Cente, Minoo Desai Marg, Colaba, Mumbai-400005
Macrotech Developers Private Limited (Lodha Group)
Image Source: Mactrotech Developers Private Limited
Founded in 1980 by Mangal Prabhat Lodha as Lodha Developers the company was renamed in 2021 Macrotech Developers Private Limited. It is a real estate firm with a focus on building large-scale residential and commercial properties. In an endeavour to deliver the highest level of craftsmanship and quality in all their projects, the Lodha Group cares deeply about the long-term environmental impact and the safety of its workforce.
- Development of Palava, an integrated smart city near Dombivli in Maharashtra
- Lodha Altamount, a residential luxury skyscraper in the billionaire’s row in Mumbai with a panoramic view of the Arabian Sea
- The World Towers: World One is the tallest building in India with 76 floors
- Lodha Bellissimo is a tall Skyscraper with landscaped terrain in the heart of Mumbai.
- Lodha Park is a 17.5-acre luxury residential project in the upscale Worli area in Mumbai
- Website: https://www.lodhagroup.in/home/
- Address: Lodha Excelus Building, NM Joshi Marg, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai-400011
Punj Lloyd Limited
Image Source: Punj Lloyd Group
Started in 1982, the Punj Lloyd Group is an Indian engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) company with offices in over 24 countries. From pipelines, tanks, and terminals to refineries, power plants, renewables, airports, rail transit systems, and expressways the group offers EPC solutions across a wide spectrum. Social and environmental concerns are closely interwoven into the group’s core practices.
- Sikkim’s Greenfield Airport in Pakyong at an altitude of 4700ft
- Construction of 8 metro stations in the Bangalore Metro Rail Project
- Heera Field Redevelopment Project
- Hyderabad-Vijayawada Road project
- Upgradation of the Maharashtra border-Belgaum section of the NH-4
- Website: http://www.punjlloydgroup.com/
- Address: Group Headquarters, 78 Institutional Area, Sector 32, Gurugram-122001
Image Source: Essar Group
Essar Global Fund Limited (EGFL) was set up in 2005 and is invested in mega projects in the core sectors of energy, infrastructure and logistics, metal and mining, technology, and retail. EGFL is now focused on transitioning its existing construction assets towards a greener economy and investing in businesses that will transform sector landscapes from carbon to a clean energy ecosystem.
- Hazira Terminal along the Hazira Penisula in the Gulf of Khambat
- 90 MWp PV Solar power plant in Dhatia, Madhya Pradesh
- 77 MW Refinery Residue Based Multi-fuel Captive Co-generation Power Plant, at Vadinar, India, for Nayara Energy Ltd
- Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project in Myanmar
- Township at Hazira – 25,00,000 sqft and 1,597 residential units
- Website: https://www.essar.com/
- Address: Essar House, 11 KK Marg, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai 400034
Hindustan Construction Company Limited (HCC)
Image Source: HCC Limited
A pioneer in the construction and development space since 1926, Hindustan Construction Company Limited has executed several landmark projects contributing to the country’s progress. With its presence in transportation, hydroelectric power projects, Nuclear Power Projects, Water solutions, and building and industrial sectors, HCC has a long-standing commitment to creating sustainable infrastructure.
- The first Thermal Power Project in India for Tata Thermal Power Station in Mumbai
- The Impounded Docks at Haldia, West Bengal
- India’s first Nuclear Power Project of the Rajasthan Atomic Power Project
- Metro railway Project at Kolkata
- Bandra Worli Sea Link
- Website: http://www.hccindia.com
- Address: Hincon House, LBS Marg, Vikhroli(West), Mumbai-400083
Image Source: Jaypee Group
Founded in 1979 by Jaiprakash Gaur, Jaypee Group is one of the top construction companies in India with diverse interests in Engineering & Construction, Education, Power, Real Estate, Expressways, Fertilizer, Hospitality, Healthcare, Sports, Information Technology, and Cement production sectors. Jaypee Group has undertaken various green initiatives and afforestation drives to ensure sustainable growth.
- 900 MW Baglihar Hydroelectric project in Jammu & Kashmir
- 400 MW Vishnuprayag Hydropower Station (Uttarakhand)
- Yamuna Expressway project – a 165 km access controlled 6 laned super expressway along the Yamuna river connecting Noida and Agra
- India’s First Wish Town, a premier township spread over 1162 acres in Noida
- 1450 MW Sardar Sarovar Water Resource Project
- Website: http://jalindia.com/
- Address: Jaypee Group, Sector-128 Noida-201304
NCC Limited ( Nagarjuna Construction Corporation Limited)
Image Source: NCC Limited
Nagarjuna Construction Corporation Limited known as NCC Limited was started in 1978 and has since grown into a construction conglomerate. One of the top 10 construction companies in India, NCC Ltd works across the buildings, water, roads, irrigation, power, railroads, metals, and mining sectors. Employee safety and sustainability are of great importance in the company’s mission.
- 8 Lane Access Controlled Expressway for Outer Ring Road Project in Hyderabad
- Baswapur Reservoir Project, Telangana.
- Construction of Flyover from Gandhi Chowk to Nagarpalika Chowk in Chhapra Town, Bihar.
- Employee State Insurance Corporation Building at Gulbarga & Mandi
- Construction of Cricket Stadium at Saifai, Uttar Pradesh.
- Website: https://ncclimited.com/
- Address: NCC House, Madhapur, Hyderabad 500081
Leading names of construction companies in India
The are many more top-tier construction companies in India:
- Sadbhav Engineering Limited
- Dilip Buildcon Limited
- Simplex Infrastructure Limited
- IRCON Limited
- Oberoi Realty
- Gammon India Limited
- Afcons Infrastructure Limited
- IL&FS Engineering and Construction Company Limited
- Lanco Infratech Limited
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about construction companies in India
Which is the biggest construction company in India?
Larsen & Toubro Limited is the biggest construction company in India based on its turnover and market capital of 2,52,751 crores.
How many construction companies are there in India?
In India, there are more than 200 construction companies in the corporate sector. Also, there are about 120,000 contractors registered with various government associations.
What is expected of the construction industry in India?
The Indian construction industry recorded a growth of 17.1% in 2021, which was supported by a continued relaxation of restrictions and improving construction activity in the road and highways sector. Also, it is further expected that the construction industry will grow at an annual average of 6.2% up to 2026.
What is the market size of the construction industry in India?
The construction industry in India is expected to grow by 16.5% to reach INR 42 billion in 2022. The turnover from the construction industry is expected to reach INR 60 billion by 2026.
How many buildings are constructed each year in India?
About 3 houses are being built per 1,000 people per year compared with the required construction rate of five houses per 1,000 population.
What is an EPC company in India?
EPC stands for Engineering, Procurement, and Construction. It is a prominent form of contracting agreement used in the construction industry in India, where the EPC Contractor is made responsible for all the activities from design, procurement, and construction to commissioning and handing over of the project to the End-User or Owner. Top names of engineering, procurement, and construction companies in India include Larsen & Toubro Limited, NCC Limited, and Tata Projects Limited.
Which are the most prominent ongoing construction projects in India?
- Narmada Valley Development Project
- Navi Mumbai International Airport
- Chenab River Railway Bridge
- The Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC)
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT)
The scope of work in the Indian construction industry is limitless as it currently employs over 30 million people. The best construction companies in India are undertaking large-scale projects to contribute to the infrastructure growth of the country.
The top 10 construction companies in India as per their market capital, turnover, and the scale of the ongoing and future projects are contributing immensely to the economy of the country.
We have also curated a list of names of other leading construction companies in India that are emerging as market leaders. Additionally listed above are the most frequently asked questions about construction companies in India. Hopefully, our list of the top 10 companies will provide you with adequate information about the infrastructure and construction sector.
* The featured image used in the article is from Construction Executive