Flooring types and trends are extremely dynamic yet static. Often, interior designers leave flooring for the end. However, it should be taken into account right from the inception of ideas and drawings. Flooring is an extremely important element in any building. It influences numerous factors, both directly and indirectly. Choosing a beautiful flooring is good but what if it inhibits the functionality of your space?
You must realize that aesthetics must never come in the way of practicality. Therefore, you must know the aesthetical, practical, and functional value of your choice of flooring.
In this article, you get a detailed view of the following aspects of flooring:
- What are the types of flooring?
- The advantages and disadvantages of all types of flooring?
- What is sustainable flooring?
- Names of the top flooring brands in India.
- What all to consider before choosing the right flooring?
- How does flooring affect the interiors of your space?
What are the various flooring types?
There is a wide range of options when it comes to flooring types. The key to selecting the best option is matching your aesthetical and performance expectations with the right material.
Wooden floorings are unbeatable. There is an array of choices available with natural hardwood. Species such as oak, birch, maple, teak, etc. make exceptional wood floorings.
- Renewable hardwood flooring
- Diverse style and material choices in wooden flooring
- Economical in the long run. (Can last a lifetime if maintained properly)
- No on-site finishing needed with pre-finished wood.
- Provides more warmth than concrete, tiles, and stones
- Can wear from grit & dirt.
- Moisture and liquids can damage the flooring.
- Squeaks and creaks can develop over time.
- Gapping and cupping can happen if not installed properly.
- Expensive installation and material.
Hardwood flooring brands:
Some popular hardwood flooring brands in India are-
- Action Tesa
- Canadian Wood
- Pergo wooden flooring
- Greenlam wooden flooring
- Century wooden flooring
- Armstrong wooden flooring
Laminates copy the look of hardwood, tiles, and stones. They are covered with a wear-proof layer. Laminate flooring one of the easiest to install flooring types. It gives a beautiful look to the room.
- Can withstand heavy traffic
- Cheaper than hardwood flooring
- Laminate flooring can be applied over pre-existing floors
- Comes in many patterns
- Portable “glueless” laminates
- Quick installation
- Need full-replacement if wears out
- Liquids can collect between the edges and plank spaces
- The floating-floor feature makes a hollow sound if an acoustical underlayment is not used
Laminate flooring brands:
Some popular laminate flooring brands in India are-
Luxury Vinyl tiles or vinyl flooring is a popular flooring choice. Its versatility, low-maintenance, and wide colour options make it a go-to flooring option.
- Easy to maintain
- Many colours, textures, and patterns available
- Amazing sound absorption quality
- Luxury Vinyl Tiles are not very eco-friendly
- Susceptible to tears and cuts
- Heat can burn or scorch the material of the flooring tiles
- Can get permanent dents
Vinyl flooring brands:
Some popular vinyl flooring brands in India are-
- Pergo vinyl flooring
Tiles are one of the most versatile pieces of flooring types that can give a more personalized look to your space. There are numerous options when it comes to tile flooring tiles, such as porcelain tiles, glass tiles, vitrified tiles, luxury vinyl tiles, ceramic tiles, marble tiles, granite tiles, and many more.
- An endless range of textures, colours, and styles in brands such as Somani tiles, Kajaria tiles, Johnson tiles, etc.
- Low-maintenance vitrified tiles terrazzo tiles, etc
- Repairable and replaceable
- Does not dent
- Grout lines trap dirt
- The surface becomes very cold if not used with underfloor radiant heat
- Glossy tiles are slippery
- Smooth tiles are not easy to stand on for a longer period of time
Flooring tiles brands:
Some popular flooring tiles brands in India are-
|Watch this video to understand how to lay large format RAK tiles.|
Linoleum is an eco-friendly flooring solution made up of linseed oil, wood or cork flour, mineral fillers, and pigments mixed and applied to a jute or canvas backing. It comes in many colours and styles. The protective coating on the linoleum flooring makes it suitable for outdoor flooring ideas as well.
- Does not emit harmful VOCs- (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- The pigments hide minor scratches and dings
- Can get dented
- Uncoated linoleum turns yellowish and dark when exposed to sunlight
- Susceptible to moisture
- Newly waxed linoleum flooring is slippery
Linoleum flooring brands:
Some linoleum flooring brands in India are-
- Wide variety of patterns, fibres, textures, and colours
- Good sound and heat insulators
- Prevent injuries (child-friendly flooring solutions)
- Hides the subfloor’s irregularities
- Stains easily
- Hard to clean
- Collects dust and dirt
- Harbours allergens
- Emits VOCs. Thus, hamper the indoor air quality
- Give rise to mold growth
- Water and moisture damage possible
Carpet flooring brands:
Some popular carpet flooring brands in India are-
Concrete flooring is a highly decorative and durable flooring solution. It is timeless. The floors are naturally cool. Thus, they are suitable for hot climates.
- Available in many colours, textures, and patterns
- Concrete slabs used during the construction can be used here to avoid wastage
- Does not emit VOCs
- No allergens, dust, and mold
- Compatible with radiant heating systems
- Uncomfortable to stand on the hard surface for a long time
- Requires regular re-sealing to protect from wear
- Susceptible to cracks
- Can wear from grit and dirt if not sealed
Concrete flooring brands:
Some popular concrete flooring brands in India are-
Stone cut into tile sizes make up the stone flooring. The authentic beauty and durability offered by natural stone is unmatched.
- Compatible with radiant floor heating systems
- Offers cooling in hot climates
- Good for outdoor flooring
- Smooth stones are slippery
- Not suitable for colder regions without heating systems
Stone flooring brands:
Some popular stone flooring brands in India are-
- Bright appearance
- Economic installation
- Protects the floor from stains, cracks, and grease
- Oil, bleach, water, and spot resistant
- Prone to chipping
- Wet epoxy floor emits strong ammonia fumes
- Needs additional painting cost
Epoxy flooring brands:
Some popular epoxy flooring brands in India are-
Sustainable flooring types
The changing trends demand safer and more environment. Sustainable flooring is the best way to keep with these demands. Renewable, biodegradable, eco-friendly, and non-toxic floorings are considered sustainable. Green carpets, wood, bamboo, linoleum, and rubber floorings are some examples of such floorings.
Canadian Wood aces sustainable foresting and wood supply. It is one of the leading names when it comes to eco-friendly hardwood supply globally.
|Click here to read Mr Pranesh Chhibber’s, Country Director, Canadian Wood interaction with BuildingandInteriors.|
There are plenty of flooring types to pick from. They come in many styles, patterns, shades, and brands. Now, it would not be right to mark a flooring trend as ‘poor’ or ‘bad’ without understanding its right application. For instance, you would have heard many praises of XYZ flooring trend and you decided to get it for your space. Later, it hampered the space’s functionality and you called it out.
But did you actually go through the details and specifications of the XYZ flooring type before applying it?
Did you understand its correct application areas before using it for your space?
These are some of the many questions that must be addressed before choosing the right flooring trends for your space.
What all to consider before choosing the right flooring types?
Focus on the following points before choosing a flooring trend for your space:
Kind of space
Different spaces have different needs. Commercial space needs more durability and fewer aesthetics. Floorings such as terrazzo tiles, luxury vinyl tiles, epoxy flooring, rubber flooring, and industrial-strength carpet tiles are ideal for such purposes. Cement-based flooring, ceramic tiles, vitrified tiles, mosaic flooring, wood flooring, and marble and granite flooring are ideal for residential buildings. Official and commercial buildings should have floorings with symmetrical and geometrical patterns. On the other hand, residential spaces can go for informal curves, prints, and asymmetrical patterns.
Moisture and weather challenges
If your space is moisture-prone, such as the kitchen and bathrooms, you need moisture-resistant, waterproof floorings. Do not pick wooden flooring for such areas. Porcelain tiles, stone, and vinyl tiles are ideal waterproof flooring options.
Outdoor spaces that are exposed to extreme weather conditions such as sunlight, dust, water, and wind need strong flooring options. Outdoor carpets, tiles, plastic deck, rubber flooring, cement flooring, foam tiles, concrete flooring are some ideal outdoor flooring options.
Not all flooring trends go well with heavy traffic. Commercial spaces need heavy-duty floorings such as terrazzo tiles, luxury vinyl tiles, and epoxy flooring which can endure a lot of traffic. You can go for slightly delicate flooring for residential purposes or for offices with lesser traffic.
Pet-friendly flooring options
Choose the right flooring for your furry friends. As an interior designer, your job does not end at understanding the needs of the building. You must consider the needs and expectations of the occupants as well. For places that have pets, your choice of floors should be scratch-resistant, damage-resistant, and pet-friendly. Stone tiles, vinyl tiles, bamboo flooring, and cork flooring are ideal flooring options.
People with respiratory issues
If the building’s occupants have respiratory issues such as asthma, you need to be very careful while choosing the right floors. Hardwood floors and luxury vinyl tiles are good for such spaces. Do not use carpets as they trap dust and increase indoor pollution. Laminate floors and bamboo floors are also suitable for people with allergies. The focus while choosing the flooring should be on easy cleaning and less dust accumulation.
How does flooring types affect the interiors of your space?
Interior decoration is an umbrella term for numerous aspects of décor. From lighting and furniture to flooring and ceiling, everything constitutes interior designing. Moreover, everything is connected to each other. Although each one of them has its own identity, it greatly influences the other. All the units come together to make a perfect interior décor look.
As a result, flooring also determines the overall look of the space. Likewise, other decoration trends leave an impact on the flooring.
Let us find out how flooring influences the look and feel of the space.
- Warm and dark colours make the room feel more intimate than light and cool colours.
- It is a misconception that dark -coloured floors make the room look small. However, if the room already has dark walls and insufficient light from windows and doors, only then does the statement stand true.
- On the other hand, light colours only make the room look big if the room has enough lighting and bright walls.
- Having said that, do not go for extremely light shades as well. Especially, if you choose wood flooring, pick the colour in accordance with the amount of sunlight entering the room. If the room is too lit up, do not go for extremely light shades like maple. On the contrary, choose honey-coloured wood flooring.
- Look for colours that complement rather than compete with the natural or artificial light entering the room.
- Use complicated and fuller floor patterns for larger rooms and simple and minimal patterns for small areas
|Click here to read how colour affects our interiors.|
Floor trends keep on changing. However, one thing that remains constant is the need for the sustainable, durable, and aesthetical value of flooring. You must understand the purpose, functionality and application area of your choice of flooring types carefully before making a decision. Do not indulge only in one aspect while selecting. Go through the top flooring brands in India for the most economical and innovative range. Match your choice with the interiors of your space and see that everything is complementary to each other. Finally, make the right choice of floors and give a delightful experience to the occupants.
Ever walked into a building and got stumped looking at their beautiful ceiling? Or mesmerized…