Epoxy resin is a uniquely versatile composite material used in the construction industry. Epoxy resin also contributes to the manufacture of epoxy paint, epoxy grout, epoxy adhesives, primers, plastics, and sealants.
It is used in various construction and structural applications. Epoxy’s use in these applications is often compared with conventional materials.
The excellent bonding capacity of epoxies makes them ideal for multiple uses. Moreover, it comes with several amazing properties and advantages. It can be used with several types of surfaces and materials. All of this gives epoxy an upper hand when it comes to construction chemicals.
However, the broad application areas and features of epoxy make it all the more important to understand its basics and details.
This article deals with the following aspects of epoxy resin:
1. What is epoxy resin?
2. What are the applications of epoxy resin?
c. Epoxy paint
d. Differences between epoxy paint and epoxy coating
e. Epoxy grout
f. Difference between epoxy grouting and cement for tiles
3. Epoxy resin price in India
1. What is epoxy resin?
Image Source: Caplinq
Epoxy is a polymer that contains large molecules with repetitive subunits. This repeating subunit molecular structure of epoxy resin offers it great elasticity, durability, and toughness.
Properties of epoxy resin
The epoxy resin comes with several properties:
- Epoxy resin has high adhesion bond. Therefore, it sticks to almost all building materials.
- It comes with a little possibility of shrinkage.
- Epoxy resin has gap filling properties. So, it is an excellent construction chemical to fill gaps. This is why epoxy flooring has gained immense popularity lately.
- Its thermosetting property doesn’t allow it to melt in any temperature conditions after setting.
- Weather and chemical resistance offers epoxy resin durability.
- It is also ideal for underwater construction.
Advantages of epoxy resin
- Durability: Epoxy resin’s chemical structure gives it a lot of stability and durability.
- Strength: The strong adhesive bond and waterproofing feature offers great strength to it.
- Quick to apply: Whether it is epoxy flooring or epoxy paints, the application remains quick and easy.
- Versatility: Epoxy binds to numerous materials with the same ease. Therefore, it makes for a compatible construction chemical.
2. What are the applications of epoxy resin?
Epoxy resin with high adhesion and durability makes for an excellent construction chemical for building repairs.
Let us understand the major applications of epoxy resin:
Image Source: exterior performance coatings
Epoxy flooring makes the flooring look decorative along with being highly durable. Epoxy floorings such as terrazzo epoxy flooring, chip epoxy flooring, and epoxy coloured aggregate flooring come in several epoxy flooring colours and designer patterns.
You can achieve these patterns by using contrasting vinyl chips or quartz to the top epoxy flooring layer.
On the other hand, epoxy floor coating has a very thin protective layer of epoxy.
Advantages of epoxy flooring:
- Epoxy flooring paint has a shiny, high-gloss texture. Therefore, the interiors brighten up significantly.
- The durable epoxy flooring material withstands heavy & rapid traffic.
- The application of epoxy flooring does not need any additional adhesives or equipment.
- Maintaining and cleaning epoxy flooring remains easy.
- Epoxy paint for floors lasts very long without chipping or cracking.
Watch this video to understand how to apply epoxy flooring over old concrete flooring:
Image Source: aicoat
This latest fad in the decorative flooring world involves precise installation.
Therefore, a layer of self-levelling epoxy primer is laid down followed by the desired epoxy flooring image.
The epoxy floor cost in India depends upon the texture, design, colour and other details. The 3D epoxy floor cost in India ranges from Rs. 60- Rs. 600/ square feet.
Watch this video to see the Top 51 epoxy 3D flooring designs:
Image Source: Countertopepoxy
The epoxy paint is the most durable paint for floors and walls. It adds an extra shine to the surface.
Initially, the epoxy paint was used for industrial purposes only. In fact, epoxy paint is epoxy added in latex acrylic paint.
This epoxy paint offers the toughness, and durability that you can never find in simple acrylic paint. Additionally, epoxy paint has chemical and corrosion-resistant properties.
Advantages of epoxy paint:
- Epoxy paint offers resistance against chemicals, water, heat, shock, and corrosion.
- Paint on epoxy makes it long-lasting as the epoxy stays in place. It withstands heavy traffic. Therefore, epoxy flooring paint remains a perfect flooring choice.
- Epoxy paint offers protection against cracking, stains, wear and tear.
- The dust-resistant epoxy paint is easy to maintain.
- Epoxy resin can be used on all surfaces such as epoxy paint for metals, etc.
Difference between epoxy painting and epoxy coating
Professionals also get confused between epoxy paint and epoxy coating. However, both are quite different and come with different benefits:
|Sr. No.||Epoxy painting||Epoxy coating|
|1.||It is a simple painting. (epoxy primer + epoxy paint)||It needs two elements to prepare: epoxy resin and hardener.|
|2.||Ideal for improving the look of the epoxy flooring.||Best for floors with the risk of chemical spillage and heavy traffic.|
|3.||Epoxy painting is more durable than normal acrylic paint. However, it cannot withstand chemicals, abrasions, and stains.||It can withstand all kinds of stains and abrasions.|
|5.||Quick application.||Slightly complex application.|
The epoxy paint price range varies from Rs. 150 to Rs. 3000.
Watch this video to understand how to install epoxy on a vertical wall.
Image Source: fireclay tile
The epoxy grout is used for multiple purposes. Epoxy grouting can adhere to a wide range of materials such as plastic, metals, ceramics, rubber, etc.
Advantages of epoxy grout for tiles:
- Tile epoxy grout offers a stain-free, easy to clean look.
- Epoxy grouting for tiles is chemical-resistant, non-toxic, and dirt-resistant.
- Tile with epoxy grout does not crack. The gaps become impermeable after epoxy grouting.
- You do not need an additional sealer once you’ve used epoxy grout for tiles.
- The epoxy colour of the epoxy grout for tiles comes in various options. Moreover, it does not lose its shine or discolour overtime.
|Sr. No.||Epoxy grouting for tiles||Cement for tiles|
|1.||Tiles epoxy grouts do not shrink, crumble, and crack.||Shrinks over time.|
|2.||Epoxy grouting for tiles offers strength for high traffic.||Not ideal for dense traffic conditions.|
|3.||Highly-resistant grouting material.||Highly porous cement does not give any resistance against chemicals and liquids.|
|4.||Easy to maintain||Difficult to clean/ remove stains|
|5.||Epoxy colours come in a wide variety. Moreover, epoxy grout for tiles does not discolour.||Additional painting required for colour. It discolours overtime.|
Watch this video to understand the difference between epoxy grout for tiles and cement:
Epoxy grouting price:
|Sr. No.||Brand and product||Epoxy grouting price per kg|
|1.||Asian Paints epoxy SmartCare Tile Grout||Rs. 773/kg|
|2.||Roff Pidilite Rainbow Tile Epoxy Grout||Rs. 1130/kg|
|3.||Dr Fixit Epoxy Bonding Agent||Rs. 794/kg|
|4.||MYK Laticrete Epoxy Grout||Rs. 750/kg|
|5.||BASF Master Flow 410 Epoxy Resin Grout||Rs. 100 kg|
Image Source: bodyartstyle
The epoxy tables give an extremely luxurious and unique look to the interiors. This retrofit construction chemical-epoxy resin can be applied to existing tabletops and countertops as well.
You can use epoxy table top resin to restore worn-out countertops in kitchens and bathrooms.
Moreover, you can use epoxy for tables over the following materials:
Marbles and granite countertops have their own beauty. Therefore, most people do not like to cover them with this construction chemical. However, epoxy for tables can be used with these materials as well.
Advantages of the epoxy tabletop:
- Durable finish.
- High-gloss epoxy tables look.
- Chemical, heat, and water-resistant.
- Endless designing possibilities.
- Easy to maintain
Watch this video to find out how epoxy table top resin is applied:
Image Source: Nbm&Cw
The adhesive strength of epoxy offers excellent waterproofing to this construction chemical. The epoxy paint contains waterproofing feature. As a result, you get a chemical-resistant finish that can easily last for up to 10 years even in pools and bathroom floors, bathtubs, etc.
Read more about epoxy waterproofing here.
Image Source: Lazy Guy DIY
Wood epoxy is just like regular epoxy with a minor difference in features for woodworking. It must remain bubble-free, moisture-resistant, and thin. This epoxy resin for wood makes excellent use in furniture such as tabletop and more.
Additionally, epoxy also waterproofs and seals the wood. You can give it a transparent, metallic, or opaque epoxy colour.
Watch this video to understand how to apply epoxy on wood
3. Epoxy resin price in India
|Sr. no.||Brands and Products||Epoxy Resin Price|
|1.||Hakson’s epoxy resin and hardener||Rs. 949/1.5 kg|
|2.||Loctite Tough X epoxy resin and hardener||Rs. 1060/ 1.8 kg|
|3.||Araldite Epoxy resin and hardener||Rs. 2600/1.8 kg|
|4.||Fosroc Nitocote ET140 Epoxy resin||Rs. 699/ container|
|5.||Sika Epoxy Resin||Rs. 525/kg|
Watch this video to understand the application of Sika Epoxy on the floor:
Epoxy resin comes with several benefits. This synthetic construction chemical is used in the manufacture of substances such as paints, coatings, and other materials. The numerous advantageous properties of this chemical such as durability, resistance against chemicals, water, corrosion, dirt, etc. make it ideal for building and construction.
The applications of epoxy on paints, flooring, grouting, and countertops make them long-lasting and durable.
The professionals can choose this versatile construction chemical for the right job with the information about the specifications, advantages, applications, and prices of the construction chemical.
All this would benefit both the professionals and the clients and help them get high-performing, durable results.
The difference between sealants and adhesives remains quite ambiguous. Often professionals find themselves in situations…