Since you are here, you must be planning to build a POP false ceiling sooner or later. We understand the confusion you must be feeling at this point.
After all, choosing the right materials for designing a false ceiling is essential.
There are hoards of articles related to this topic on the internet. However, there is no comprehensive guide that covers all the aspects of POP as a material for false ceilings.
This is the reason why we have compiled the A to Z of POP false ceilings in this article.
After reading this, you’ll be armed with the answers to all the following questions on this subject:
- What is a POP false ceiling?
- How is a POP false ceiling made?
- What precautions to take during the installation?
- What are the benefits of POP in false ceilings?
- Are there any disadvantages of using POP for false ceilings?
- How long does a POP false ceiling last?
- How to design a POP false ceiling?
- Where can one install POP false ceilings in homes?
- What is the price of a POP false ceiling?
1. What is a POP false ceiling?
A POP ceiling is made from Plaster of Paris powder. Plaster of Paris is called so because it was made from gypsum found near Paris.
The POP is simply a quick-setting gypsum plaster. It is made by heating gypsum to the point where all its water content evaporates to leave behind a powdered substance.
The powder is fine and white in colour. The chemical name is calcium sulfate hemihydrates.
This powder is mixed with water to mould it into different forms and shapes. Then, it is left to dry.
POP has several applications. In the building industry, this material has gained admirers for its versatility. It is one of the most common materials used in building false ceilings.
A POP false ceiling can adorn both residential and commercial spaces. It’s more preferred in residential settings as it adds to the beauty of homes.
2. How is a POP false ceiling made?
Now you must be wondering how the material used for making casts for broken bones could be turned into a ceiling! It’s quite a simple process, actually. All you need are skilled artisans.
Firstly, do the framing on the existing false ceiling channel. Install an iron mesh (also known as chicken mesh) on it.
Then, install the electrical lighting wires. Wires should be inside conduit pipes that are drilled and fixed.
Apply POP to the existing framework. Finish the POP ceiling with putty and paint.
3. What precautions to take during the installation?
- Make sure that the application area is not prone to leakage.
- Use POP from good and well-known brands like JK Lakshmi Cement or Gypsona so that it doesn’t crack during the procedure.
- Consider the suitability of a certain consistency of POP for the space it’s for.
- Go for a false ceiling with a thickness of around 10-12 mm. Anything less than that would be prone to damage.
- Perfectly dry the POP before installing the ceiling.
- The electrical wires should be inside a pipe to reduce the risk of accidental fires.
4. What are the benefits of POP in false ceilings?
There are several benefits of using POP for the ceiling. Some of them are:
- POP is a very durable material for ceilings.
- A POP ceiling shows little to no signs of wear and tear for years.
- Ceilings made from POP are quite weather-resistant.
- POP offers a lot of flexibility in false ceiling design.
- The maintenance cost of a POP ceiling is low.
- It is more affordable in comparison to materials like gypsum boards false ceiling.
- POP false ceilings can double up as insulators of heat and cold.
- These false ceilings are also detachable, in case the occupants of a home decide to shift base.
5. Are there any disadvantages of using POP for false ceilings?
Nothing in the world is perfect, not even POP. There are certain downsides of installing a POP false ceiling which you must know to make an informed decision. Some of the disadvantages posed by POP are:
- Since a POP ceiling requires a lot of manual work, the labourers have to be skilled and experienced. Otherwise, you won’t achieve the desired finish.
- The installation of a POP ceiling is quite a messy affair. There’s a lot of wastage of material too.
- The installation takes a significant amount of time.
6. How long does a POP false ceiling last?
As discussed earlier, these false ceilings are durable. They have a long life.
In absence of any external damage, a POP false ceiling can easily last for 15-20 years.
One doesn’t need to worry about longevity in the case of POP.
7. How to design a POP false ceiling?
As a building material, POP is very versatile. This versatility enables you to experiment with various false ceiling shapes and styles.
We have curated some of the best POP false ceiling designs for you right here! These ideas have been divided into the following categories:
a) Shapes of POP false ceilings
As far as the shape of a POP ceiling is concerned, the most popular ones are squares and rectangles.
Circular ceilings are also a good choice for a more dramatic look.
Designer false ceilings can be moulded into unique shapes like swirls.
They can be layered as well.
b) Carved POP false ceilings
You can use intricate carvings on POP ceilings. Ceiling carvings have an undeniable old-world charm. They add to the character of a room.
A carved ceiling is best for a luxurious or royal look.
c) Lighting in false ceilings
False ceilings with installed lights save wall space. There is no need to install boring tube lights and bulbs. You just have to ensure that the room is evenly lighted through the false ceiling alone.
With the help of lighting, there are so many designs of POP false ceiling you can play around with.
Pendant lights and chandeliers look great at the center of a false ceiling. Use cove lighting for a subtler style.
|For more false ceiling lighting ideas, click here.|
d) Color of the false ceiling
Plain white is the obvious choice when it comes to false ceilings. However, it is not compulsory to adhere to this norm. One can experiment with a huge range of colours for a POP false ceiling.
The contrast between the false ceiling colour and the walls has to be maintained. If the walls are painted in a darker colour, the false ceiling can be painted in a lighter colour, or even the lighter shade of the same colour.
Conversely, one may go for false ceiling paint which is darker than the wall paint.
Use muted tones for the living room and the master bedroom. A kid’s bedroom false ceiling design can be painted in bright colors.
Consider using wallpaper or textured paint for a unique false ceiling design.
8. Where can one install POP false ceilings in homes?
The correct answer is everywhere! Any and every room can have a makeover with a false ceiling.
POP false ceilings are a popular choice for home interiors. The durability and customizability of POP is largely the reason for this.
a) POP false ceiling new designs for drawing room
Since the drawing-room (also known as the living room) is the first impression of a home, it should be designed to impress.
There are two contrasting ways to design the pop false ceiling of living room.
You can opt for a minimalist, simple false ceiling design for drawing room.
The other option is to go for a luxurious false ceiling design.
Either POP ceiling design would suit the drawing room well.
|Click here to read more about living room false ceiling designs.|
b) POP false ceiling designs for bedrooms
Since it’s a place meant for relaxation, the design and tone should be calm and suitable. There is no need for POP false ceiling designs for bedrooms to be overwhelming.
The false ceiling for the kitchen should be simplistic and functional. Take care that the POP used can withstand the heat and smoke of the kitchen.
The false ceiling design for the kitchen should complement the style of the cabinets and color of the walls of the kitchen.
d) Dining room designs of POP false ceiling
The ceiling should be beautiful and well-lit. Install lights that cast a warm glow on the room.
Try to match the shape of the POP false ceiling to that of the dining table. It creates harmony.
Hall false ceiling designs are an important aspect of building design. Do not dismiss the hall area.
f) Bathroom false ceiling design
POP can make any bathroom look cooler. In this case, the POP should be water-resistant to avoid damage.
g) Bonus: Pooja room false ceiling design
The place of worship is the most important area of many Indian homes.
Thus, pooja room false ceiling designs must be grand in style.
9. What is the price of a POP false ceiling?
For example, if the area of a false ceiling is 50 square feet, the price can range from Rs 2500 to Rs 7500.
The POP false ceiling price differs from brand to brand.
POP is a material made of heated gypsum. It remains one of the most common materials used in false ceilings.
POP false ceilings are beautiful and long-lasting. They are energy-efficient and act as insulators too.
The variety in POP false ceiling designs is immense. The flexibility that POP offers is advantageous. False ceilings are available in any shape, design, or style.
You can install false ceilings in every part of a house. All the rooms can benefit from the addition of a designer false ceiling. These ceilings transform interiors into beautiful artworks.
POP ceilings are less expensive than many of their counterparts. The current POP false ceiling price in India is around Rs 50 per square feet to Rs 150 per square feet.
All the qualities of POP considered, it is a good idea to use it for false ceilings.
On a parting note, is it even a matter of surprise that the material used to build world-class sculptures is also used to sculpt magnificent masterpieces on ceilings?
All images sourced from Pinterest.com
POP false ceiling photos
Ever walked into a building and got stumped looking at their beautiful ceiling? Or mesmerized…